Monday, January 30, 2012

reviewing now: red carpet manicure part II

I apologize for the late post.  Life has gotten the best of me lately, but here's a short update to my Red Carpet Manicure Review posted here.

I purchased and have worn the Red Carpet Manicure colors in Nominated For, Midnight Affair and Simply Stunning.  Let me start by "dittoing" what most other reviewers have said: the colors look nothing like the bottle when you put them on.  I didn't make any BAD choices: Nominated For is a nice deep, dark purple; Midnight Affair is a deep, rich blue; and Simply Stunning is a nude color.  Simply Stunning wasn't my favorite upon application, but it grew on me, and it is definitely the only color I would consider wearing for two weeks.


I got at least a week of wear with NO PROBLEMS!  This is unheard of for me. With a regular manicure, I end up doing patch jobs around day 5 or 6.  I actually wore my second manicure for 8 days and my third for 10 days.  My nails stayed shiny and I didn't get any tip wear, which is fantastic!  I did start to get some lift around the cuticle area, where I'm assuming I accidentally cured one of the coats to my skin so it wasn't sealed to my nail, but it wasn't anything bad and didn't snag on my clothing or anything.  The only reason I wouldn't wear most of the available colors for 14 days is because my nails grow so fast.


This is a picture of my first manicure after 7 days.

After wearing the manicure for 3 weeks, I was able to get the application down to around 45 minutes.  Based on previous reviews, I cured each coat two times at 45 seconds each - just in case.  I also think that this can be a little damaging to your nails, especially if you peel the polish off.  My nails have been splitting a little more often than usual after peeling off the last manicure.  It's not bad enough that I won't use the product again, in fact, I plan to have it in regular rotation - especially during special events, vacations, trips, etc., but I will be careful to remove the polish properly.

Also, I won't bother repurchasing the Purify Pre and Post Application Cleanser or the Prep because those are both just alcohol.  I also won't repurchase the Red Carpet Manicure remover.  I've already purchased some pure acetone from Sally's to use instead.

Day 1 vs. Day 7

I'm not sure if you notice, but my index finger in the Day 7 picture is much shorter than in the Day 1 picture.  I actually caught my nail in a zipper (ouch!) and while it split the nail a little, it wasn't as bad as if I wasn't wearing the polish!  And the best of all, it didn't ruin my manicure!  My nail stayed perfectly polished for the next 5 days or so!

The next time I use the kit I plan to sandwich regular nail polish between the gel base and top coat.  I've heard great things about this method and would love to be able to get 7 days of perfect wear out of my polish stash!

No comments:

Post a Comment