Monday, May 30, 2011

writing now: the reason why i blog

I've found that I've learned a lot by reading about the experiences of others.  Blogs are the new magazine.  Why would I need to pick up the latest issue of Lucky, when I can check the interwebs and find information on anything that I need to know!  My blog interests cover a wide range of topics from healthy eating and exercise, to makeup to fashion - especially my newest love PETITE fashion!

Who knew there was a whole world of women out there that share the same experiences that I do with clothing a body that is right for me, but doesn't quite vibe with an average size world? I always wondered how other women, women that I perceived to be smaller than me, managed to find clothing that fit.  Adult clothing that fit.  Adult clothing that fit and was fit to wear in an environment outside of a nightclub (helllooooo lycra!) Then I found the wonderful world of petite bloggers and a whole new universe opened itself up to me.  I learned that sometimes (ahem, most of the time) alterations are needed!  Alterations! A tailor! Bells sounded in my head and a new me was officially born. 

One thing that I have noticed, is that there are not a lot of African American women writing about their experiences being a petite.  Being a petite African American means navigating a culture that has a very set view on what it means to be womanly and feminine.  Interesting stuff I tell ya.

So that's where I fit in! I like to write and find it cathartic in some way, and in fact, I've started blogs on 2 (okay maybe 3) other occasions, but I value my privacy a lot.  A whole lot.  And bloggers take a whole lot of scrutiny! People hiding behind the interwebs can be a little not nice at times, but I've learned a lot from people willing to share their lives (or portions of their lives) and I'd like to give back a little.  Now, with that being said, I probably won't post regularly, but I'll do what I can!

fabulously.petite
                 in the city

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe I'm only now happening upon your blog! Welcome to the world of petite fashion blogging!

    Congratulations on your style epiphany. Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping bye! I think you were the first petite blog I found...so thanks for the inspiration, too :)

    ReplyDelete