Saturday, June 4, 2011

reviewing now: oil blotting sheets

Now that the weather is warming up, I'm having to break out the heavy artillery.  I have incredibly oily skin (for this I can't thank either of my parents, their skin is *normal*).  Hopefully I'm going to age really, really well (do you hear that God?!), but in the meantime, I still have to go out and face the public. 

I've come to heavily rely on oil blotting sheets to help control the shine throughout the day.  Sometimes I have to use them twice within a single work day...I'm thinking that's got to be some kind of record...right?!  I'm going to review the two oil blotting sheets that I'm currently using.

First up, e.l.f. Shine Eraser Oil Blotting Sheets
who: eyes lips face
what: Shine Eraser Oil Blotting Sheets
where: I purchased mine from Target
when: about 3 months ago
why: they were cheap!

What say they?
Shine Eraser: absorbs oil and shine; mattifies shiny skin; pore minimizer; woven texture eliminates shine and keeps skin-matte for hours; green tea extract helps re-texturize skin, masking facial imperfections.

Ingredients: microcrystalline wax, caprylic/capric triglyceride, green tea leaf extract.

What do I say?
I think these are a good value all things considered.  They are priced at 1.00 for 50 sheets and get the job done.  Sometimes I have to use 2 sheets in order to remove all of the surface oil from my skin.  I wouldn't say they leave my makeup perfectly in tact, but I think it is unrealistic to expect that they would.  They claim to have green tea in them, but they don't seem to have any fragrance at all. I leave these in my cosmetics bag at work and use them throughout the workday.

Next, Boscia Green Tea Blotting Linens


who: Boscia
what: Green Tea Blotting Linens
where: I purchased mine from Sephora
when: about a month ago 
why: I purchased the Lavender Blotting Linens and loved them, so I planned to repurchase, but fell in love with this packaging 

What say they?
Instantly blot away excess oil and perspiration without disturbing your makeup. Hint: Let your personality shine, not your skin! Tip: Perfect for lipstick blotting too.  Made from finely-woven leaf fibers of the exotic Abaca Tree Plant and infused with one of nature's most powerful antioxidents, Green Tea, to help soothe and freshen your skin. Slim package fits perfectly in your pocket, handbag or desk drawer.

Ingredients: Green Tea

What do I say? 
I love these as much as I loved the Lavendar Blotting Linens and would probably repurchase.  They are a little pricey at $10.00 for 100 sheets, but well worth every penny!  I wish I had purchased more when Sephora had them on sale for $5.00.  If there is a next time, I'm going to take a page out of my mother's handbook and make sure everyone I know heads to Sephora and purchases 2 (which was the limit per person during the last sale). I can smell a hint of green tea on these sheets. I carry these around in my purse.



Comparisons
Aside from the obvious price difference, there are a couple of other difference between the two sheets.


The e.l.f. linens don't have a mechanism to release one sheet at a time.  You have to slide the sheets out of the container, making an effort to only grab one sheet at a time.  Most of the time I only remove one sheet, but sometimes I accidentally pull multiple sheets from the container.  The Bosica sheets pop up one at a time.

The Boscia sheets are nearly twice the size of the e.l.f. sheets.  That could partially explain why I only need to use one Boscia Sheet and I sometimes use two e.l.f. sheets.  I find that the Boscia sheets also fit in my hand betters.  Sometimes my fingers end up coming in contact with my face when trying to use the e.l.f. sheets.

The Verdict
The Boscia Blotting Linens are the clear winner for me.  I think the fact that I carry these in my purse and don't want to be without them says it all.  The e.l.f. sheets certainly serve their purpose, though and I would consider repurchasing to stock in my office and would also repurchase these if I was out and about and needed a quick fix.  If you are new to blotting sheets and want to see what all the fuss is about without breaking the bank, I would recommend giving the e.l.f. sheets a try!  Here's a hint: if you find yourself in a pinch, brown napkins (think Starbucks) and toilet seat covers can also double as blotting sheets! 

No comments:

Post a Comment