Monday, June 27, 2011

writing now: summer skin care essentials

I'm in the process of moving (talk about stressful!), so I'm sure my OOTD will mostly consist of tights, flip flops, and sweatpants, not very interesting right?!  But I did want to share with you my summer skin care essentials.  I actually took photos of my actual products, but they kinda suck - so you're stuck with these stock photos!

I have very oily skin.  VERY.  I look like a completely different person by late afternoon without some kind of intervention so I'm exploring different options for keeping the oilies under control!.  I've already blogged about my love affair with blotting linens here but there are some other products that I'm using and having success with!

First, I've found that I have to prep my skin well.  I think daily light exfoliation really helps to keep my pores clear of oily buildup.  I also try to moisturize my skin a couple of times a week.  When my skin is dry - either from inadequate moisture or using harsh products - it tends to overproduce oil.  I've had great luck with Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel.  It seems to hydrate and plump my skin without causing extra oiliness.  After washing my face (right now I'm using Neutrogena's Fresh Foaming Cleanser) in the am, I use Neutrogena's Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 70.
 photo credit: here
It provides sun protection and mattifies my face. It also gives me a white cast which means I have to wear some kind of foundation or powder (I use an alternate sunblock for days where I'm not planning to wear foundation).

 photo credit: here
Laura Mercier's Oil Free Foundation Primer is a must on days when I'm planning to spend a lot of time outside.  Outdoor, summer weddings, picnics, outdoor shopping, etc. are more tolerable when using this product. I apply it over my sunblock carefully because it tends to spread it around if I rub it on haphazardly. 

 photo credit: here
I am loyal to my MUFE High Def Foundation, but this summer heat has been brutal *already* so I've switched to a powder foundation.  The liquid was sliding off my face during the work day. I do still use the liquid for special occasions and pair it with the primer mentioned above with success.  I've had good luck with Estee Lauder's Double Wear Foundation in Truffle.  I've repurchased it 2 times already and will repurchase again.  It covers the white cast left behind by my foundation and gives me buildable coverage.  Some days a girl just needs a little bit more help, ya know?!

This is longer than I intended it to be, but I have just two more products to share
 photo credit: here
This product is the holy grail of all holy grails MAC Loose Blot Powder.  Mine is in the color "deep," however, these are really translucent, and I've used my friend's powders without any issue.  I really believe they are colored only to make the consumer feel better about purchasing them.  I apply this with the MAC 136 right before I leave the house.  [OH NO!  I think MAC may have discontinued this!  WHHHYYY???!!!!] I also own the Pressed Blot Powder in deep dark.  I don't think the color of the pressed blot powder is as superficial as the loose blot powder so I would not use this product in just any color.  My pressed blot powder shattered into a million pieces a while ago, and I just put it back together (using rubbing alcohol).  It's ugly, but it gets the job done!

There you have it!  The products I'm currently using to try to win the war with my oily skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment