Friday, August 26, 2011

writing now: perfect mani

I've been addicted to pedicures and the like since middle school.  I've recently (as in the last year or two) gotten into painting my nails and DIY manicures.  I've been working on perfecting my at home nail polishing skills and wanted to share them with you!

Materials (any brands will do):
cotton rounds/cotton balls
q-tips
nail polish remover
rubbing alcohol
nail clippers
nail file

Specific Products:
Makeup by Orly at ShopStyle
Orly Bonder Base Coat:  I live and breathe this base coat.  I've been using it for at least 2 years and have repurchased over and over again.  I paint my nails and toes often and one bottle will usually last between 6 and 8 months.  This base coat leaves your nails a little "tacky" or "sticky" after application and I believe that helps the nail polish adhere to your nail better than without it.

Nail Polish by Seche Vite at ShopStyle



Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat:  This product is definitely true to its name.  Nothing dries my polish faster.  I've tried all kinds of old school tricks like sealing polish with a drop of oil and running nail polish under cold water to "shock" it, but this top coat is the only gimmick I need in my life.  I usually purchase these two at a time.  The only caveat is that the polish will thicken after awhile, so I make sure to keep some nail polish thinner on hand.
Nail Products by China Glaze at ShopStyle


China Glaze is my "go to" nail polish brand.  This is totally a personal preference type of thing, but China Glaze is THE nail polish that lasts the longest on me, with minimal tip wear.  I have had some luck with Essie recently and plan to explore the brand a little more.  China Glaze doesn't have a ton of colors in the permanent range, but they do release seasonal collections that have tons of hits!




First remove all of the old polish from my nails.  I use the cotton balls/cotton rounds and the q-tips.  Usually I'll start the major removal with the cotton rounds and then I'll clean up around my cuticles with the q-tips.

Then I'll use the nail clippers to trim my nails - especially if it's been awhile.  I tend to like my nails very short.  I'll follow up and shape with the nail file.

Next comes the alcohol.  I use that to remove any residual oil from my nails so that the polish will adhere better.

I'll then use the Orly Bonder Base Coat on my nails.  I tend to let this dry, but it will still remain tacky.  I'll follow that with one thin coat of nail polish, which I let dry completely.  When that is completely dry, I'll use an additional thin coat of polish.  I don't let that coat dry, and apply the seche.

Usually it takes me about 30 minutes to do four coats of nail polish.  I will polish my nails while watching t.v. at night and by the time I'm ready to close my eyes, they are dry enough to sleep!

Eventually I would like to purchase the supplies to DIY Shellac my nails.  While I don't think it's a great idea for long term wear, I *do* like the idea for special occasions.  I hate having to bring 3-4 nail polishes with me when I travel, but as of now that is the only option unless I go bare - which I hate.  I would totally shellac before a big vacation, holiday or any time I needed a picture perfect mani.  I know Sally Beauty Supply has the stuff and I'll post when I try it!

Here are the results pre clean-up.  Unfortunately, my pinky nail had an unfortunate run in with my ring finger.  I usually use a q-tip soaked in nail polish remove to clean up my cuticles and other miscellaneous stray polish marks. 


The color is China Glaze Limbo Bimbo:


You like??

Update:  Here are pictures of my nails at day 3.  You can see the beginnings of a little tip wear after 3 days of normal activities such as washing dishes. light cleaning, typing, etc.  If my tip wear gets really bad and I don't have time to repolish my nails, I may run a coat of polish over the tips, or just repaint the nails that are really bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment