Sunday, October 30, 2011

writing now: sephora friends and family goodies

My Sephora Friends and Family order (blogged about here) arrived in no time!  I was hoping to get everything before I went out of town and success!  Just to refresh your memory, I purchase Makeup Forever (MUFE) High Definition Foundation (a staple), MUFE Mat Velvet Foundation, and Nars Nailpolish in Bad Influence.   Here's a short review of my goodies:

MUFE HD:

As described on Sephora.com :
What it is:
An oil-free medium-to-full-coverage liquid foundation that covers skin imperfections flawlessly while remaining invisible on-screen and in real life.

What it does:
This long-wearing foundation creates a soft-focus effect, which is designed to meet the coverage concerns of those in the spotlight. It leaves your complexion with such a flawless finish, it can withstand bright or harsh lighting.

It actually comes in *25* colors and a variety of undertones and I've found it easy to get a match even when my skin tone changed just a little about a year ago.  I've applied this successfully with my MAC 187 brush, my Beauty Blender Sponge, and my foundation brush.  It has buildable coverage, I can get a really light application, especially with my Beauty Blender or blend out for heaving coverage.  I've found that this photographs VERY well in all lighting, I don't end up with the dreaded white face, and also don't look like I'm wearing a mask.  I don't think this offers a ton of oil control.  I have to use blot powder/papers throughout the day, but I get a decent amount of oil control with a primer and blot powder applied when I put the foundation on.  This will usually hold me through an event. 

MUFE Mat Velvet:

As described on Sephora.com:
What it is:
A shine controlling, oil-free, water-resistant, complete coverage liquid foundation.

What it is formulated to:
Hides imperfections, evens out skin tone, and mattifies with a non-oily, perfectly powdered finish. The result is flawless and lasts for hours.

Unfortunately, I did not select a good color match in this product, so my review is limited and based on one day of wear.  I used a foundation matrix to try my best to match myself and it was a big fat fail!  I had second thoughts when reading how Sephora described the color.  My usual shade in MUFE HD (178) is described as having beige undertones.  This was described as having beige pink undertones.  You can see the difference here:

 

(FYI, my face is a different color than my hand because I wear sunblock on my face year round)

My ill matched color was no fault of Sephora so I'll give a quick review now, but will update when I really get a chance to wear the product a few days. Mat Velvet Foundation comes in 16 shades, so it's probably not as easy to get a match as the HD Foundation. I applied with my 187, and honestly wasn't really a fan.  I think this would be better applied with a foundation brush or the beauty blender, so I'll try that next time.  This definitely offers more coverage than the HD, I would say this is full coverage, but can be sheered out and builit up to your desired coverage level. Mat Velvet is described as mattifying and I've read that it's good for oily skin girls (like myself), but that wasn't my experience AT ALL.  I was just as oily as, if not oilier than, when I wear my HD Foundation.  I'll try again with a primer and blot powder.

Nars Nail Polish in Bad Influence:
Sephora.com describes this product as:
What it is:

A new, improved formula of NARS Nail Polish for long-lasting, durable, glossy nails.

What it does:
This season, the NARS Nail Polish line debuts a new long-wearing formula that provides a tough, chip-resistant finish with UV protection to prevent polish discoloration.

The color is described as a smokey tauape.  What do you think?

I don't own any "high end" or "moderate" nail polish because I just don't see myself paying that price for nail polish right now.  That may change if I ever see a shade that I'm compelled to purchase, so I reserve the right to change my mind! I've only swatched this polish on one nail, but based on that swatch I think this brush is great!  It picks up a good amount of color and distributes the color very evenly! This polish is not opaque and gives a decent amount of color in one coat.  I love that Bad Influence doesn't streak when applied, even when rushed!  I can't say how long it will last in an at home mani, but will try it out soon!  Here's a swatch on me, 2 coats, no base or top coat.

2 comments:

  1. Love the nail polish. I have been looking for a perfect taupe/brown shade, I might have to pick that up! Have fun wherever you are going out of town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I had a blast!

    Just did a mani with Bad Influence. Can't wait to see bow long it lasts. You really can't beat 8.00 and 20% off!

    ReplyDelete