Friday, October 14, 2011

50 classics challenge - week 2: wear to work

I have to admit, that this week's outfit is a little boring.  Apparently, I don't currently have a closet full of classics, and you'll see exhibit A of that below:

This week, I chose a wool pencil skirt, cotton oxford, black pumps, and various accessories: pearl necklace and earings, watch.

Boring right?  And not at all representative of what I'd actually wear to work!  I actually tried to spruce the outfit up a bit by adding a leopard print silk scarf, but that would only work if paired with a blazer or some other outerwear. 

Confession #1: My skirt isn't actually wool!  This may be the first time I've lived in a place with a cold enough winter to justify a wool pencil skirt!
Confession #2: My shirt isn't exactly a classic oxford print.  In my defense, I quick Google search leads me to believe that any type of button down dress shirt could loosely qualify! I took the liberty of making my shirt fit into that category.
Confession #3: As much as I love my shoes, I would probably never wear them to work!  My workplace just isn't the kind of joint where you wear 5" pumps.


Although the bright spot in this post is the shirt!  This is one of the BR shirts that I got on super duper sale and posted about here.  I wore the blue one last weekend and threw it in the dryer when I washed clothes.  I can confirm that they do in fact SHRINK!  But I've never actually worn this one (yeah, I threw this stuff on to take pictures...sue me!), and I found that wearing another shirt under it (for example a long sleeved baby tee) actually makes it presentable.  I don't like appearing as if I'm swimming in my clothing, and I think that takes away from a professional appearance. 

That's all from me!  Run over to Petite JD and see what some of the other challengers have come up with this week.

3 comments:

  1. Haha I LOVE your confessions. I am finding that the pieces on the list can be somewhat boring, but really, your challenge #2 outfit is totally classic and you probably could've worn it 20 years ago and you can wear it 20 years from now and look totally put together. So it works!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. I think your look is very classic and I'm finding the list to be restrictive myself. I love the pink blouse and so sorry that the blue one shrunk. Can you still wear it casually with sleeves rolled up and tied western style over a dress? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm actually happy it shrunk! It was just a hair too big and now fits a little better. I won't dry it again, that's for sure, because I don't want to take any more chances!

    ReplyDelete