Thursday, November 17, 2011

reviewing now: makeup forever mat valvet foundation

I've had a chance to use the MUFE Mat Velvet Foundation for a couple of weeks now, so here is my updated review.


image credit here

I picked up a better match at Sephora and have been test driving it so that I could finish my review.  I was matched with #80 (I had previously purchased #85).


#85 is described as "brown, for deep skin with beige pink undertones" while #80 is described as "cognac, for deep skin with beige undertones"


Ingredients:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

Price: $34.00

Colors: 16 shades available ranging from Alabaster to Chocolate


What Sephora says:

What it is:
A shine controlling, oil-free, water-resistant, complete coverage liquid foundation.

What it is formulated to:

Hides imperfections, evens out skin tone, and mattifies with a non-oily, perfectly powdered finish. The result is flawless and lasts for hours.

What else you need to know:

Although this foundation provides full coverage, the end result is completely adjustable to fit your needs - a little goes a long way.

My review:
I had high hopes for this foundation. I was hoping that it would be everything that others have described it as “matte, perfect for those with oily skin, etc.” but I am sad to report that for me, it wasn’t. I don’t know what it is about my skin, but I have yet to meet a foundation that doesn’t turn oily within hours, and this is no exception. It performed better when applied over a foundation primer, but if I’m going to do that, I’ll keep using the HD foundation. Also, the color match just wasn’t as nice as the HD foundation. It’s okay, and it’s wearable, but just not quite as good.


I previously wrote that the Mat Velvet Foundation didn’t apply well using the 187 brush, so I’ve been using it with a beauty blender sponge with great results! The application is very smooth. This foundation is a little thicker than the HD foundation, thus giving better coverage, but somehow, between the color and the formula, my concealer doesn’t apply and blend as well over the Mat Velvet.

Other issues: I prefer the pump bottle of the HD foundation. I don’t think there’s any particular reason other than my preference. I also wish they had the color marked on the bottle somewhere. Sometimes I will forget what color I am and like to have the bottle to reference when I’m reordering.
Overall, not a bad foundation, but I’m probably spoiled by the HD foundation.  At an almost $40.00 price tag, I don’t think I’ll be keeping this one.

In other news, I also get a sample of the Chanel PERFECTION LUMIÈRE foundation.  I plan to write a review of that soon!  Overall, I must say I'm *thrilled* that more cosmetic lines are extending their face products to include women of color.

Credit: Some information was taken from here.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing !

    come for a visit, and if you like sign as follower...I'll do back

    ciao ave

    ReplyDelete