Sunday, November 13, 2011

shopping now: benetton

I've actually purchased quite a few items from United Colors of Benetton. I find them to be really quality items at a not so shocking price point (especially when the entire store is 70% off as it usually is at the end of the season). I *do* end up having to tailor just about everything I purchase from there, BUT there are very few stores that have items that fit me well off the rack. Well, on with the reviews:

My purchases included a sweater and a winter coat. I've really been on the lookout for a nice fitted sweater and my exploration in Benetton was a huge fail on my part. They have puh-lenty of options in many stunning colors, including the lilac I was loving a few months ago! I was immediately drawn to the cashmere and wanted it soooo badly, but decided against it because only scoop necks were available in the size/color combination I wanted :( I picked up the most comfortable cotton sweater known to man in lilac.

Can anyone spot the mistake?


That's right, I'm a dunce.  I tried this on in a different color in an xs and accidentally purchased it in a small :(  Of course, that's not fault of Benettons!  On to the review:

Materials: 84% cotton, 11% nylon, 5% elastane
Price: $44.00
Size: Small
Colors: I don't remember all of the available colors, but there were 5 or 6 available


If I can't exchange it, my sweater may have turned into more of a really short sweater dress to wear over leggins, jeggins and skinny jeans. My other option is to try to shrink it in the dryer.  I think cotton shrinks really well, right?!  I'm actually surprised that the fit isn't terrible.  It's mostly the sleeves that are too long.

Next up, a Sisley Coat purchased from Benetton.


This is my first winter in DC and I'm sure it's going to be much colder than where I came from :(  Unfortunately, I don't think my more cute than warm coats of winter past are going to cut it.  I saw this coat and decided it was worth a little splurge!  Outerwear is something that will be seen every day during the winter, so a quick cost-benefit analysis is in favor of spending a little more than I'd like to.

Materials (outside): 63% wool, 27% nylon, 10% cashmere
Size: 28 (US size 4)
Price: $209.00
Colors: I believe there were 2 or 3 available including a red, but I was drawn to the jewel toned teal.  Swoon.

The sleeves are a bit too long, and I may end up seeing if a tailor can shorten them for me.


But the lady-like sillouhete is amazing.  I seem to be constantly drawn to coats that give the illusion of an hourglass figure where there isn't really one, instead of classic silhouette like a trench, that relies more on a woman's body to give it that something special.

This coat is also heavy on little details that I love, like off center buttons and stitching at the high waist. The lining is also beautiful.  It is a deeper, less jewel toned teal.  I almost wish they had gone with something a little funky!


I think this coat is screaming for a leopard print infinity scarf!

2 comments:

  1. Love the coat. And a totally agree about the leopard scarf. Have you seen the banana republic version? (added the link below). It's not an infinity scarf but what I like about it is that sometimes with leopard you walk a fine line of cheap/trashy & classy/trendy. This one I think is a safe bet on trendy =) I'd wait for a 40% off sale though

    http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=882516&locale=en_US&kwid=1&sem=false&sdReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bananarepublic.com%2Fproducts%2Fscarves-1.jsp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll have to check BR the next time I make my way over to the mall!

    ReplyDelete